It’s time for the weekly link up! Here we go . . . .
- Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen’s English…here’s the list for 2013-fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru. Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
Yolo. Because I believe in grammar. Because I believe that you should take the time to write. Because every time I see it in a Facebook post I have to go look it up because I forget what it means.
- When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
I think it was when we took a day trip to NYC. So maybe April 2011? We left here at 6am, had a friend get on in Philly, and were in NYC in time to see The Normal Heart matinee. Took a quick trip around 30 Rock, went to dinner, and then caught the evening show of The Book of Mormon.
- Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite ‘flavor’? Favorite topping?
Yes. What kind of question is this? Of course, yes. Schmear. I’m not saying I wouldn’t still go through the Krispy Kreme drive through, but there is nothing wrong with a good bagel!
- ‘Tis the season of awards shows…if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
This question makes up for the previous one. Oh so many. Now that Les Mis has been made I could be Madame Thenardier. Agnes Gooch in Auntie Mame. Sister Hubert in Nunsense. Ouiser in Steel Magnolias. I love those quirky supporting roles.
- The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months….what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you’re a parent, is this something you’d support in regard to your own children?
I don’t have children, so it’s hard to answer. I see the benefit for the single gender classrooms, as you can eliminate some of the issues. Yet new ones appear. In the interest of fairness, and to make sure the same curriculum as the opposite gender, the same teachers should teach both classes. Just swap out.
- What’s your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Clean Towels. Every day. I will sleep on the same sheets to stay green, but I want new towels.
- Do you have a ‘word’ for 2013? What’s the story behind your choice?
Not really. My language skills are fairly developed.
- Insert your own random thought here.
The news is currently on in the background. And they are once again showing clips from something Barack Obama has said. You know, he is a very charismatic speaker, regardless of your politics. But I want a dollar for every time he says “uh” and pauses in his speeches. I would be able to pay off my student loans and credit card bills by the State of the Union.