I don’t know what the weather is like where you are, but here, it’s like mother nature has menopause. Snow on Friday, freeing rain and sleet on Sunday night/Monday morning, and 73 degrees today before a high of 39 and snow on Friday. Between the weather and my allergy shots today, I am a walking snot factory. (I just know you wanted to know that.) I think my nose could run for Congress at this point. I swear, after dinner tonight, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Unfortunately, I was at the movies. Talk about awkward for those around me. I felt horrible. Anyway, it’s Wednesday eve! Which means if I can stop sneezing long enough (I’ve sneezed seven times since I started typing this post) I get to answer the Hodgepodge questions for the week.
1. In the USA this coming Sunday millions will be watching as the Baltimore Ravens take on the San Francisco 49’s in the Superbowl. What was the last event you attended that could be described as super?
I think my perception of super and the perception someone else might have of super can be two different things. I was at the Newsboys concert in April 2012 when they played at John Paul Jones Arena, I thought that was pretty super. I spent years at Redskins games, Virginia Tech games, and some of them were super.
2. Share something you’re a fan of these days?
I don’t know if it’s “these days” or “still obsessed”. Show me the Olympic rings, and I am a sucker. I just finished (last month) watching all the coverage I had Tivo’d from the London Olympics. And there is less than a year and two weeks until the winter games open in Sochi. . . .
3. How do you feel about wings? In case anyone is confused, I’m talking the edible appetizer kind. What’s your preferred seasoning on a wing-hot, mild, teryiaki, sweet and sour, other? Do you make your own or is there a favorite place you like to go for wings?
Buffalo Wild Wings boneless chicken wings in Thai or Caribbean Jerk. Food of the gods, and a requirement for every Hokie season opener game.
4. As long as we’re talking sports today…have you followed the Lance Armstrong story? Did you watch his interview with Oprah and if so what was your reaction to his confession and subsequent remarks?
I taped the interview, made it through about six minutes before I had to turn it off. I don’t know how much I believed in his innocence but this humble piety that he is trying to pull off isn’t working for me.
5. What’s a question you hate to be asked?
Why aren’t you married? When are you going to get married? Why don’t you have another job? Why haven’t you lost weight? Don’t you want to be married? Why aren’t you dating ___? Take your pick . . . .
6. The coaches in this Sunday’s big game happen to be real life brothers. Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49er’s and his older brother John Harbaugh coaches the Baltimore Ravens. Were you and your sibling(s) competitive? In what way? Are you still? If you’re an only child how did you handle competition growing up?
Not so much. We are only two and a half years apart in age, but we were four grades apart in school so there was very little rivalry. Hatred, maybe. Desire for control of the remote, sure. But rivalry? Not so much that I am aware of anyway.
7. What’s your favorite game involving a ball and when did you last play?
I love to watch tennis. I used to play a lot as a child, but had major knee problems starting in the tenth grade so never got back into it after that. I played volleyball through college on intramural teams, but also spent four weeks in bed with double immobilizers and couldn’t walk. I prefer to swim!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Only thirteen sneezes to complete. Seriously, what is up with this?????