This week’s Listicle is on the first things you notice about a person. As superficial and selfish as it sounds, the first things you notice about someone are going to be the physical and not the important things. And as someone who spent a decade and a half working in the men’s clothing industry and doing costume work, I’m probably guiltier of most. **Disclaimer: Costumers are noticeably the frumpiest looking people backstage. That’s ’cause we’re spending so much time making everyone else presentable we don’t care about ourselves! So in no particular order, here are:
10 THINGS I FIRST NOTICE ABOUT SOMEONE
- (Men) Pattern choice in tie/shirt combo (Women) Makeup choice, particularly around the eyes
- Teeth and evidence of orthodontia (aka nice smile)
- Shoe choice (Men and women both, but for different reasons)
- Wedding band present (Mama trained me to look before I could walk, it’s a hard habit to break)
- Manners/chivalry. (Say thank you, say please, say ma’am/sir, hold the door, etc.)
- Level of sincerity–something that you can detect early
- How they treat their elders
- How they treat small children
As I sit here typing this, the thunder is rolling outside my living room window. The only thing that is missing is a front porch to watch the storm. There truly is nothing like the summer flash storms that crop up and quickly soak the earth!
As it is Sunday, here is the linky party of the day:
1. What is your favorite Social Media outlet?
I’ve kind of refrained from most of them lately. If I have to get on and cyberstalk my friends, I guess I still use Facebook. Occasionally I get into Pinterest mode, mostly when slow at work. Only that hasn’t happened in a LOOOOOOng while.
2. Do you subscribe to any daily news reads?
Most of the daily news subscriptions I have are for blogs. Young House Love or Pop Candy to name two.
3. Favorite Magazine to have by the pool?
Sports Illustrated, People, or a brain teaser book
4. Favorite summertime song?
Oh, there are so many. “School’s Out” by Alice Cooper. “Summertime Blues” by Eddie Cochran. “Under the Boardwalk” by the Drifters. “Cruel Summer” by Bananarama. “Summer of 69” by Bryan Adams. “Boys of Summer” by Don Henley. “Hot Fun In The Summertime” by Sly and the Family Stone. and “Wild Summer Nights” by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Bonus points if you can name the movie that’s from. LOVE that movie.
5. Best Summer concert you’ve been to?
I should say the Newsboys the first time I saw them live, back when Peter was still fronting the band. But honestly? I’ve seen one band twice in the last three years thanks to my brother. And I gotta say, that last year? In July? With sweltering heat and a huge crowd? An old friend from 20 years ago who bought the tickets next to us for he and his son as a surprise (best! surprise!). I have to go with Motley Crue/KISS. Motley Crue isn’t my favorite band. Far from it. But they were entertaining and put on a show. But KISS? They kicked ass. Great company, generosity of my brother, and one of the best musical concerts I have seen in years. Love the Demon, love the Starchild, but long live Tommy Thayer as the Spaceman!