1. What’s something you’re never too young or too old to enjoy?
Fireworks. Ice Cream. A fresh box of crayons. Reveling in dessert because I cleaned my plate at dinner
2. Share one happy memory from your high school years.
Is it bad to say there weren’t that many? I had friends, I had fun, but those years in general I try not to relive in any form. Usually the happiest day was the day school let out, because I left town for the summer.
3. A nationwide strike of fast food employees took place in the US last week…they’re calling for higher wages and the right to unionize. Your thoughts?
Used to be that fast food was for high school kids that wanted some extra cash. Unfortunately, it is now more for people who need it for survival. And no one can survive on minimum wage. I live in a non-union state, so I’m not sure how that works here, but higher wages are a must.
4. September is National Honey Month…what’s a favorite dish you make or eat that calls for honey?
For years, I made my own breakfast cereal. Oatmeal, dry milk, honey, oil, almonds, Craisins, and coconut. Only one day I ran out of almonds, coconut, and Craisins all at once, so I started eating just oatmeal. Still my favorite dish for it though.
5. If you notice someone with a tag sticking out, a button unbuttoned, a shirt inside-out, or some leftover lunch between their teeth, do you say something or do you keep quiet?
Absolutely. I don’t want to be walking around with a flipped tag or spinach in my teeth, so I hope you’d return the favor.
6. What’s a movie that always makes you cry? Or at least makes you feel like crying?
Uh, every one? I mean seriously, I’m a big crybaby for movies. Just the other day, I turned on the TV and Miracle was playing. They were already in the third quarter of the match against the USSR. Not like I was invested in the 90 minutes leading up to it. Still, when Al Michaels said “do you believe in miracles?” I was blubbering.
7. Mary Had a Little Lamb was written in 1830, and published in Juvenile Miscellany in September of that same year. Now for the fun part…create your own four line rhyme using that same tune.
Using this random topic generator, I was given “Who from your past do you wish was still around”
My grandpa was a gentle man,
gentle man, gentle man
My grandpa was a gentle man
And I miss him every day
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Two thoughts for today:
1) I’ve been absent a few weeks from the Hodgepodge a few weeks for various reasons. Last week I was in New York with my mother for her first follow up on this experimental drug trial. Small steps! We’ll take all the small steps of progress we can!
2) for some reason, waking up to the news that Ariel Castro hung himself in his cell infuriated me today. While I have no doubt that he has now received his eternal punishment, I think that it is vastly unfair that he only served a miniscule fraction of the life plus 1000 years he was sentenced to here on this earth. And mostly, I feel for the three women who are cheated of justice for his actions on their lives.